LIYSF Terms & Conditions
LIYSF Terms & Conditions
1.1 STUDENT CONDITIONS
To attend LIYSF 2021, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Date of birth must be between 29/7/1999 and 29/7/2005.
- Have a good understanding of written and spoken English
- Be studying science and have achieved or be in preparation for taking exam qualifications for university entrance
- If you are applying independently, you must ask your school or college to act as a reference to endorse your application
- Your parent or guardian must endorse your application (if you are under 18 when LIYSF begins). We will send you a parent consent form, which must be returned at least 6 weeks before LIYSF starts.
Please note the information below only refers to our terms and conditions. When booking with us you must make your own arrangements for travel to London, insurance and visa for travel.
1.2 ONLINE APPLICATION
When you are ready and have confirmed funds to support your place you can make your application, only do this when you are sure of your commitment. In order to apply, please Apply Here.
Applications are subject to approval and will only be accepted after careful consideration and return of your reference (we will contact them by e-mail from the information you provide). Final approval of your application and confirmation of a place at LIYSF 2021 will only be given upon receipt of a satisfactory reference
Should you successfully receive confirmation of your place, we will send you the invoice for payment of the deposit (£450 per place) and request that this is paid within 14 days of receipt of the invoice. Full balance payment must be made by 4th June 2021.
The London International Youth Science Forum (LIYSF) is an educational forum owned and operated by LIYSF LTD, Royal Parade Mews, Chislehurst, Kent BR7 6TN, U.K. Registered No. England 12217374. VAT Registration: GB 339 6771 56.
The following terms and conditions are the basis of the contract between you and LIYSF, so please read them carefully.
- A contract will exist between LIYSF and the participant or organiser when an application/booking is accepted, a required payment received and a confirmation invoice issued detailing your booking. If anything is incorrect please contact us immediately.
- All correspondence will be made with the named person on the confirmation invoice. This person will accept the following conditions and on behalf of all participants (if a group).
- The contract is governed by English law and any dispute will be dealt with under the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales and you as the customer agree that if any dispute should arise, this shall be litigated only in England and Wales.
2.2 CODE OF CONDUCT
At LIYSF, we have high standards both on campus and off. We expect all of our participants/students to represent their country and LIYSF to the highest standard possible.
In order to attend LIYSF, each participant must agree to abide by our code of conduct. Failure to do so may result in that person(s) being asked to leave the event. If this should occur, no refund will be given and they must make travel arrangements at their own expense.
Participant agrees to
- Be respectful at all times.
- Respecting and recognising cultural diversity take no action that might undermine the principles of cultural tolerance within our community.
- Not behave in a disruptive manner. LIYSF considers disrupting inconsiderate or offensive behaviour (including such behaviour in the on-line ‘environment’) a breach of this discipline.
- Attend LIYSF events and arrive punctually for events.
- Discuss any problems with your student buddy or staff member initially, you may be referred to the Director.
- Behave at all times, with self-discipline. Not act in a way that may bring LIYSF into disrepute.
- Listen carefully to the information given to you by LIYSF staff and follow instructions.
- Never leave on your own, always make sure you are with somebody at all times.
- Provide notice and reasons for any absences to your student buddy/hall host.
- Always behave in a sociable manner, be polite and make an effort to talk to people.
- Eat sensibly and make sure you get enough sleep.
- To comply with the law at all times. LIYSF has a very strict NO DRUGS policy.
- If over 18, remember to consume alcohol responsibly. All actions are a reflection upon you and LIYSF.
- If under 18, you will not consume alcohol.
- A student shall not impair, interfere with, or obstruct the orderly conduct, process, or function of LIYSF or any of its students, faculty members, officials, guests or the surrounding community.
3.1 PAYMENT CONDITIONS
The participation fee/charge is £2,195.00 GBP per student.
This covers the total cost of the 15 day programme at Imperial College London and includes:
- 14 nights accommodation in South Kensington, central London
- All meals throughout including, breakfast, lunch and dinner
- 12 main lecture demonstrations, with Nobel Prize Winner Lecture
- 4 day visits to best UK university departments, laboratories and research centres (choice from 55 visits, with travel included)
- 4 specialist lecture sessions across a wide range of STEM subjects, such as; Artificial Intelligence, Nano-technology, Engineering, Robotics, Biology, Medicine, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Astrophysics (choice from 32 lectures)
- Active social programme with over 10 varied events
- Certificate upon completing the programme (extra certificate if you present a project at our science bazaar)
The participation fee/charge does not cover:
- Flights/travel to/from London to attend the programme
- Optional sightseeing tours and theatre tickets
- Visa (although we do provide invitation letters to help with a general tourist visa application)
- Insurance (we strongly advise students to get their own travel insurance)
Participants are responsible for seeking financial assistance to support their attendance at LIYSF.
- A non-refundable deposit of £450 GBP per place is payable at the time of booking.
- Once a booking is confirmed (this is when you have received your invoice) the booking deposit is due and further payments are subsequently due – under either payment or cancellation conditions below.
- The balance of the fee (£1,745) must be paid by 4th June 2021.
- Overdue funds will be subject to a 3% surcharge.
- LIYSF does not accept bank charges – please ensure the full amount reaches us
Students are accommodated at LIYSF in shared, single gender rooms with shared bathrooms, using mainly twin, triple and quad rooms – maximum share of six persons per room. This is typically in university style halls of residences with shared bathrooms. If you wish, you can pay for one of the following “upgrades” :
- Guaranteed allocation to an en-suite (private bathroom) twin room in our 4* hotel. We do use one local 4* hotel and some students are allocated here. If you wish to confirm a room allocation here, please note that there is a hotel supplement of £250 per person for the 14 nights (£17.86 per night).
- A single room can be arranged for an additional cost of £595 for the 14 nights in most of our accommodations – with a private bathroom.
- If you require a single room in the hotel, both supplements apply.
- Optional excursions and merchandise are not included in the participation fee. More information about what is available to purchase extra can be found here.
You must advise if you wish to have any of the above supplements by 1st June.
3.3 PAYMENT METHODS
- We accept payment by bank transfer only. Card payments are possible for optional visits and merchandise items only.
- See our bank details on the invoice. Please quote the attending student’s name and invoice number as the payment description/reference.
- Any booking cancelled will be charged the £450 deposit for administration.
- Any booking cancelled after 30th May 2021 will be subject to a cancellation charge of £650.
- Any booking cancelled after the 4th June 2021 will be charged the full participation fee
- The cancellation date is calculated on the day of receipt of written notification of cancellation.
- Cancellations must be made in writing to Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org
3.5 If LIYSF has to make changes
- LIYSF will do its utmost to provide all arrangements as confirmed but reserves the right to alter or cancel any activities, accommodation or other arrangements without notice subject to operational, weather or other considerations, including alterations beyond LIYSF’s control.
- Any changes to the confirmed programme will be advised at the earliest opportunity.
- LIYSF is not liable in any circumstances for loss or damage or loss of the programme:
- In circumstances identified as ‘Force Majeure’
- Unusual and unforeseeable circumstances arise which are beyond LIYSF’s control, the consequences of could not have avoided with all due care
- The change is not significant
- If LIYSF has to be postponed or rearranged due force majeure reasons, LIYSF will hold any monies paid toward the rescheduled future event.
4.1 COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE
- If there is a problem with any aspect of your travel arrangements, please mention this to the LIYSF staff immediately. In the event of an unresolved complaint, please write to Richard Myhill by e-mail: Richard.email@example.com. If your complaint is still not resolved, you have 28 days from the end of your travel arrangements to write to us to explain your grievance.
- If you are still unhappy, your complaint may be referred to independent arbitration for judgement.
4.2 LIYSF RESPONSIBILITY
- In common with other companies, LIYSF acts only as an agent and intermediary in arranging for room accommodations, transportation, sightseeing, admissions and restaurant reservations as appropriate and agreed in the itinerary. As such, LIYSF shall not be liable for any injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity which may be occasioned by reason of any company or person engaged in conveying the passengers, or otherwise in connection therewith, of any hotel owner, manager or employee.
- Accordingly, participant(s) agree to seek remedies directly with the supplier, and not to hold LIYSF or sponsoring organisation liable, in the absence of its negligence, for any loss, injury, delay or expense which results directly or indirectly from any action or omission.
- Participant(s) acknowledge that neither LIYSF nor its agents have made any representation or promises with the respect to the programme except as expressly detailed in official LIYSF literature, unless such agreement is in writing and signed by Richard Myhill.
4.3 YOUR RESPONSIBILITY
- It is the responsibility of the student/organiser to advise LIYSF of a person’s special dietary requirements, emergency contact details, illness, and disabilities, social or behavioural problems which might affect the person or other students during the travel arrangements.
- LIYSF may request written confirmation from a doctor/teacher confirming the suitability of the travel arrangements for the person if deemed necessary.
- LIYSF reserves the right to exclude any person before, during or after travel arrangements commence if important personal details have not been fully declared and/or their behaviour is incompatible with the general enjoyment and well-being of others, including breaching any of the conditions laid out in the Student Code of Conduct. Any costs would be entirely the responsibility of the student/organiser.
- If you make any arrangements to visit or engage in non-programmed activities, this is your responsibility and any impact it has on your ability to participate in the programme.
4.4 PERSONAL PROPERTY
- Personal property, including baggage, is each person’s own responsibility at all times, unless any loss or damage is due to negligence or failure by LIYSF to carry out its responsibility. Valuables should be locked away, using safes where provided.
- Please be advised that customs, traditions and expectations may be different to your home country and you must respect the customs, rules and obligations during your stay in England.
- LIYSF regularly takes photographs and videos for promotional and training purposes. These images may appear in our printed publications and publicity materials, on our website, or both. We may also send the images to the news media, who may use them in printed publications and on their website and store them in their archive.
- The images we take will be of activities that show students/LIYSF in a positive light. The images will not be associated with negative, distressing or sensitive issues to do with an individual’s welfare or that may cause offence or embarrassment.
- Your consent to us taking and using photos that include you is given by accepting our terms to attend. If you do not wish to give your consent, you must contact Richard Myhill in writing by e-mail: Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LIYSF strongly recommends that all persons travelling obtain appropriate insurance coverage. It is the sole responsibility of the participant to ensure adequate insurance cover is in place in the event of cancellation, urgent repatriation or to cover medical costs.
4.8 FOREIGN TRAVEL ADVICE
- For the latest travel advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office including security and local laws, plus passports and visa information, check www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
- It is your responsibility to ensure you have the appropriate passport, visa and health requirements to complete the programme. Remember to apply for any necessary visa’s in good time. If you need to apply for a visa, you only need to apply for the Standard Visitor visa to attend LIYSF (general tourist visa).
- If you need professional medical assistance, we will try to obtain it as quickly as possible. You agree to repay to us all costs LIYSF incur for logistical assistance, including payment for any transport and telephone calls. We will provide receipts for any such payments on your return, for you to pass to your travel insurers.
5.1 STUDENT PROTECTION
LIYSF recognises that the care, protection and welfare of all our participants is paramount and that they have the right to be protected from all types of harm. Below is our student protection policy (child protection policy) that applies to all participants, regardless of whether they are under or over 18 years old.
LIYSF STUDENT PROTECTION POLICY
- The welfare of any student attending LIYSF is paramount. LIYSF is committed to student protection and the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults. This policy is in place to protect all students attending LIYSF.
- LIYSF values, respects and listens to students.
- No student or group of students attending LIYSF will be treated any less favourably than others in being able to access services which meet their particular needs.
- All students, without exception, have the right to protection from LIYSF from abuse regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or beliefs.
- LIYSF has an anti-discrimination and bullying policy
- The policies are reviewed regularly, approved and endorsed by the Director: Mr Richard Myhill.
- These policies apply to all LIYSF staff.
- We will take measures to ensure our policy is communicated to students, parents and staff appropriately.
- All concerns, and allegations of abuse will be taken seriously by LIYSF and responded to appropriately – this may require a referral to children’s social care services, the independent local authority designated officer (LADO) for allegations against staff and other volunteers, and in emergencies, the police.
- LIYSF is committed to safe staff recruitment, selection and vetting.
- LIYSF acts in accordance with 1989 and 2004 Children Acts (UK) and latest legislation, guidelines and policies.
- LIYSF acts in adherence to Article 19 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) 1989.
LIYSF is committed to student safety with many policies in place, including;
- Emergency procedures, which all LIYSF staff are trained in.
- During LIYSF there is at least one first aider present.
- A 24/7 emergency telephone number is available throughout with trained staff on-site.
- All students are issued with a lanyard which must be worn at all times, this has key emergency information on.
- Students are allocated a staff buddy who will be their initial contact person and will check in with them regularly.
- At all LIYSF programmed events there is always an LIYSF staff member present.
- Frequent checks are made on students by means of our attendance check system at plenary lectures, with follow ups if a student is not present.
- LIYSF has a dedicated student welfare officer and an anti-discrimination and bullying policy.
- If a student wishes to deviate from the main programme, they must advise their buddy and leave with at least one other student.
- Each student must agree to our code of conduct, which aims to prevent bullying and harassment.
- LIYSF has checked all venues that we use/visit to ensure all have appropriate insurance cover.
- LIYSF has conducted/requested risk assessments where appropriate.
- LIYSF only takes photos for promotional purposes and typically in group settings, if parents wish photos not to be taken please advise us by e-mail to: email@example.com
- We do ask students to take out their own travel/medical insurance before attending (where appropriate).
- LIYSF can help students that must take prescribed medication and provide support and fridges where possible. Parents should in this case contact us with information in English and a letter from their doctor.
- Students are accommodated in single gender, shared bedrooms that are locked and used by LIYSF students only.
- An LIYSF staff member resides in each accommodation used during LIYSF (typically 5-8 staff per residence).
- Each residence used has a manned 24hr reception by trained venue staff.
- LIYSF provides meals throughout (choice at each meal, always a vegetarian option available) and caters, where possible, to dietary needs – if a student has a concern, please advise LIYSF staff immediately to help.
- If a student has a learning or special need, please advise us and we will endeavour to do all that we can to help.
- Students are encouraged to store valuables in the safes provided or at reception.
- LIYSF has made available a 24hr multi-faith prayer room that all students may use.
- Responsible on-site person is: Richard Myhill. If a student has a problem, they should talk to a member of staff immediately. Students may always approach directly Richard Myhill. If a student feels unable to discuss their issue with an LIYSF staff member, we can help them call Childline – 0800 1111.
6.1 DATA PROTECTION
In accordance with the Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998, you consent to our processing of your personal data in manual, electronic or in any other form relevant to this agreement by us, or any LIYSF appointed third party. Any personal information requested at the time of booking and on subsequent communications is held on computer and required to allow our employees, agents, sub-contractors and suppliers to provide the contracted travel arrangements in a GDPR compliant manner. Information is held on our database in order to facilitate your attendance at LIYSF, after this time all non-event related personal data is deleted. As you have given consent to be updated about future developments of LIYSF, your name and e-mail information is kept until you request it to be removed.
7.1 INSOLVENCY PROTECTION
The Association of Bonded Travel Organisers Trust Limited (ABTOT) provides financial protection under The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 for LIYSF LTD (member 5441), and in the event of their insolvency, protection is provided for the following:
- non-flight packages and
- flight inclusive packages that commence outside of the EEA, which are sold to customers outside of the EEA.
ABTOT cover provides for a refund in the event you have not yet travelled or repatriation if you are abroad. Please note that bookings made outside the EEA are only protected by ABTOT when purchased directly with LIYSF Ltd.
In the unlikely event that you require assistance whilst abroad due to our financial failure, please call our 24/7 helpline on 01702 811397 and advise you are a customer of an ABTOT protected travel company.
You can access The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 here
All details here are published in good faith as of July 2020.